Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Land(e)scape: SOIL Gallery, August 6 - 29, 2009


World One Overview. 2009. acrylic on canvas. 48 x 60 inches.

Usually, I'm pretty quick to post an image almost instantaneously after I finish a painting. I'm just eager to share, I guess. By looking at the last post date, you can see that it's been a while! I have been working on new paintings for an upcoming show at SOIL Gallery, Land(e)scape, with Julie Alpert and Lise Graham, opening August 6, from 6-8 pm. I've been working on this one for a while and rather than "unveil" the paintings long before the show, I wanted to sit on them for a bit. Today, one of the new paintings was featured on the cover of one of Seattle's weekly papers, The Stranger. Obviously, I'm pretty psyched. I figured I'd post a full image of the painting here as well. It's the first in a new series of large map paintings that aim to tie my invented world together. Influenced by video games like Mario Bros. and Zelda, it's an overhead map, showing the "lay of the land." I'm really excited about the possibility of pulling people more deeply into these invented spaces and giving them a sense of where they are. There's also a new close-up painting on its way that places the viewer directly into this specific map.

3 comments:

  1. I love it! I also dig the Stranger and the cover looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Cant wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete